Water Conservation Video Contest
2023 Video Contest
Planning for those not-so-rainy days.
Drought is a part of California life. Despite wet years, worsening drought will continue to be a public concern in our state. How can we use outdoor water most efficiently to plan for long-term water conservation?
About the Contest
Water Conservation Programs of City of Calistoga, City of Napa, Town of Yountville, City of St. Helena, City of American Canyon, Napa County and Napa County Resource Conservation District are sponsoring a video contest for 9th - 12th grade students in Napa County. Contest sponsors are looking for creative videos that address this year's theme. Students should strive to make videos that are entertaining and informative. Let your imagination go wild. Carefully review the entry guidelines before completing your project.
The winning video will be used as a public service announcement (PSA) and shown at the Century Napa Valley movie theater. The winner will also receive a $1,500 cash prize! The second place winner receives a $1,000 cash prize. The third place winner receives a $500 cash prize.
Visit https://saveourwater.com/ and https://napa.watersavingplants.com/ for information on water conservation and water-wise gardening.
- 9th – 12th grade students in Napa County. Entries can be submitted by an individual or team.
- One entry per person or team.
- All contestants must have parent/guardian consent to participate.
By entering, you grant Napa RCD and City of Napa non-exclusive ownership of the video, meaning that we can use it on our social media, website, or elsewhere, but you can also continue to use it.
Videos must mention the action of conserving water and address the theme.
- Videos must be 30 seconds in length (no more) and be appropriate for all ages.
- Student(s) may use a smart phone to film the video.
- If your video includes a language other than English, please provide English subtitles in the video, or English translation via email to Danielle@NapaRCD.org (Note: Translations don’t have to be 100% accurate, but enough to understand in English. Google Translate is fine to use.)
- Videos may not use copyrighted images or music.
- Videos must not infringe on the privacy or personality rights of any person or deceased person.
Submission Instructions - DEADLINE is 5 PM, Friday, May 19, 2023
Student submissions must include the follow two items:
- Videos submitted to Dropbox in a .mov, .mp4, or .avi file.
- SIGNED ENTRY FORM, screenshot or scanned copy, submitted to Dropbox with video. *If multiple students are involved in the making of the film, each participant must submit separate entry forms specifying which film title they are associated with.
Video Contest Entry Form (PDF)
Entry Deadline: 5 PM, Friday, May 19, 2023
Videos will be judged by a panel of experts from a variety of disciplines using the following criteria:
- Video follows the contest theme
- Video is accurate
- Video empowers the audience to take action to conserve water
- Video is exactly 30 seconds
- Audio and technical construction is clear and of high quality
- Video is entertaining, creative and original
- Contest entry form is filled out properly and includes a creative title
Winners will be notified via email by June 8th, 2023. If submitted as a team, prize must be split equally among team members.
1st Place - $1,500
2nd Place - $1,000
3rd Place - $500
1 teacher's name will be drawn at random from student submission forms to win a 1-night stay at the Mount View Hotel and Spa in Calistoga AND $100 cash.
2 teachers' names will be drawn at random to win $200 cash.
For more about the contest, contact Danielle Ashton: 707-252-4189 x3125 or Danielle@NapaRCD.org
2022 Winners - TikTok Video Contest
Theme: Conserve Water, Not Just for Us OR Be Water Wise
1st Place: Water Smarter, Kaliq Khan, Tanner Low, Jamie Pope (Vintage High School)
2nd Place: Things You Can Do to Conserve Water, Brandon Tennant (Vintage High School)
3rd Place: Conserving Water: Landscape Edition, Sofia Lopez, Susana Nuno (Vintage High School)
2021 Winners - Note, this contest and all previous contests did not use the TikTok platform
Theme: Imagine Our Water-Wise Future
1st Place: No Water No Future, Ava Dominguez, Sophie Gonsier, Giulia Guerrera, Keira Prouty (Napa High School)
2nd Place: Ryleigh's Water-Wise Future, Kaeleigh Rogerson
3rd Place: Conserve our Water for a Brighter Future, Abygail Sims
Theme: I Save Our Water Because...
1st Place: We All Live Down River, Giulia Guerrera (Napa High School) and Marie Dolcini (Mom!)
2nd Place: Conserve for the Future, Vintage High School Thirst Project
Theme: Water in a Changing Climate
1st Place- Sarah Carelton & Emma Wallenbrock -Water in a Changing Climate (Napa High School)
2nd Place- Martin Arriaga- Small Steps to Conserve Water (Napa High School)
3rd Place- Itzi Padilla- You Can Save Water by Doing a Little Thing (American Canyon High School)
Theme: Never Enough to Waste
1st Place - Kai Matthiasson & Ilenna Brown (Napa High School) Conservation Conversation
2nd Place - Fryl Chelzea Dela Cruz (American Canyon High School) Never Enough to Waste
3rd Place - Chanelle Mayrix Roces & Marvic Vivo (American Canyon High School) Wasted on the Way
Theme: Reimagine your yard - Conserving water outdoors
1st Place - Sarah Lippmann, Andrew Raymond, Elena Ingram (Napa High School) View here
2nd Place - Eliana Matteo, Mary Manuta, Matthew Rico (American Canyon High School) View here
3rd Place - Madison Edmeyer, Mo Gottfried, Hannah Sigourney (Napa High School) View here
Every Drop Counts – Water Conservation as the new normal for California
1st Place Joshua Padilla, Jackie Salinas, Yarra Bolla, Edna Santos (American Canyon HS) View here
2nd Place Luis Buenaventura (American Canyon HS) View here
3rd Place Julionna Robinson, Ernesto Garcia, Chezlaine Barrero, John Dizon (American Canyon HS) View here
Learn More about Water Conservation
Visit the WICC Water Conservation webpage to find out about conservation programs where you live.