Napa Solano Audobon Society Bird Walk at Bothe Valley State Park
Bothe-Napa is an intermixing of trails and campgrounds. As we travel through the park we will experience different habitat types, such as redwood forest, riparian corridors, oak savannah/hills and deciduous broadleaf forest. As the habitats change, such will the bird life we encounter. Many summer breeders have started nesting including Western Tanagers, Hutton, Cassin's and Warbling Vireo, Wilson's Warbler, and Black-Headed Grosbeaks. Pileated Woodpecker and Northern Pygmy Owl have recently been reported. We will keep our eyes to the canopy for spring arrivals that will be moving through.
WEATHER: The weather is projected to be in the High 70s-Low 80s and no rain in the forecast. Light jackets for the morning, water and binoculars are recommended. The trails are relatively flat but minor grades are present along the trails. There is one minor creek crossing which will most likely be dry. Ticks and mosquitoes are always looming in the grass and air, so please bring bug spray. Please wear comfortable, yet sturdy hiking boots or shoes, as the ground may be muddy after the past rain events. Please dress according to the weather and location.
- Be aware that even with the vaccine, I am still enacting and following COVID safety guidelines with our group.
- Please note per California and County regulations and most everybody being vaccinated, I am relaxing the mandatory mask mandate. Masks from now on will be optional.
- We will do our best to maintain social distancing to the best of our abilities.
- If you are sick, or feel unwell, please do not attend. I promise that there will be more walks in the future and the birds will be there!
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions and for the safety of attendees, there will no longer be any NSAS carpooling from Sweeney's Sports for the foreseeable future. If you wish to travel together from your own houses or location, please do so at your own risk.
- There is a $8 parking fee. If driving on your own, please arrive at Bothe-Napa parking lot no later than 8:15 and meet just beyond the entrance kiosk.
BIRD WALK LOCATION:
Where:Bothe-Napa State Park, 3801 Saint Helena Hwy, Calistoga, CA 94515 (this address will take you directly to the location).
Start Time: 8:00am
Approximate End: 12:00pm